Brigham Young University: Week 1

I thought that since I have officially moved out and am starting school next week it would be fun to keep everyone updated with a blog...so here we go. Wednesday morning I arrived at BYU, unloaded the mini van that was filled with stuff, and moved into my dorm on the third floor of the Hinckley Hall at Helaman Halls. Even though it is rather small, Nicole (my roomie) and I managed to fit all of our stuff by using our closet and underneath our beds as storage space. Mom came up later in the afternoon to take me to my last real meal at TGI Fridays. After dropping me back off, I met up with my Y-Group. I couldn't find my real group that I was supposed to be with so I joined some random group that recruited me. My new group turned out to be way, way fun. Our group leaders, Blake and Robi are so awesome and really made New Student Orienation tons of fun. We took a little tour of campus, stopped by Smart Cookie where Blake bought everyone cookies, and then ended up back at the Helaman field where we had a BBQ and watched Forbidden Kingdom. The movie, I'm not gunna lie, was a little lame so Jessica, Nicole, and I went to Jessica's apartment at Y View and played some fun games.


Thursday morning I got up early and went to the Wilk to get my ID card and talk to a counselor. I got out of my crazy hard schedule to one that will hopefully be a little more manageable. Right now I'm taking Book of Mormon, Teachings of the Living Prophets, Communications 101, Statistics 221, Physical Science 100, and an executive business lecture series. It should be a pretty exciting semester. After running my errands, I met up with my Y-Group to to the Convocation Devotional and the Marriott Center where we just got an overview of BYU from the president and some other students. After the devotional, my group went to the library and played sardines on the 4th floor. I can't believe how big that library is. Our group leaders also told us all the places to go in the library if you want to socialize (periodicals), or actually study (children's lit). It's good to know these kinds of things from people with experience. Later that night we went to the Tradition of Honor assembly where they talked about the honor code...it was super. At the end this one guy sang this song he wrote for his girlfriend and ended up proposing to her in front of the entire group of new freshman. Let's just say I've been fully initiated into the BYU culture...

Friday morning we had another devotional at the Smith Field House that was really great. We learned about success. "Desire, Decision, Determination, YES!" We had class about how to use the library. We had a little academic lunch where we had a lecture on habits of the mind. Later that evening I went to my first athletic event -- Girl's volleyball vs. Utah State. Of course BYU won and it was fun sitting in the student section. After the game, we went to Friday Night Extravaganza...sounds pretty incredible, doesn't it? It ended up being a bunch of games where we just got to know a ton of people, although it's hard to get to know someone in about 2 minutes....but I met a few cool people. One of the games we played was called Head Honcho, Top Banana, and Big Cheese. With a group of three, we each took turns being "the boss" and could tell the other two people to do anything we asked them. It was pretty exciting. Later that night we made a BYU Creamery run and watched a movie back at Jessica's place.

Saturday was supposed to be my sleep in day, but of course, I couldn't sleep past 8:30. Nicole and I both relaxed in the dorm for a bit and got ready for our day. In the afternoon, we went on our own little campus tour to figure out what buildings all of our classes are in. Let's just say I'll be amazed if I can find all my classes the first day without getting lost. I'm very directionally challenged. We ate lunch at a little cafe called Legends Grille down by the field house which was very good. After lunch, we headed to the stadium for the first BYU game of the season. My friends and I ended up having seats on the 10th row right above the south end zone. It was a great game! Later that night, we had a final dance to finish up orientation.

Sunday morning Nicole and I woke up bright and early to attend our 9:00 BYU 17th ward. We walked over to the Joseph Knight Building where our sacrament meeting was held in a classroom. It was fast and testimony meeting and many of my new ward members bore their testimonies. It was so neat hearing about their experiences and how they had grown in the past year and were looking forward to the school year. Several of them had gone to summer semester and were telling us that although college life was challenging, it is very rewarding.

I'm looking forward to a great time this year at BYU. I know I will meet tons of new people, make lots of new friends, and have experiences that I'll remember throughout my life. I'll keep you all updated!



Oh yes, here are some pictures of our lovely dorm room. We still have a little interior decorating to do, but, Nicole and are rather pleased with how it is coming along.






Comments

Nicole said…
Rachelle... we are so cool! Ha ha, its fun comparing what each of us wrote!
so cool shell! Sounds like you are going to have a blast! I'm jealous! Live it up! Time will go by soo fast! Have fun! loves!

Popular Posts